Thursday, February 26, 2015

Before I Forget

Note: These are my Nana's stories, not a history book.


Parents: Cornelius ___________ DeJong and Wilhelmina Christina ____________

Cornelius died at a young age- in his 40s I believe, from lung cancer.  Cigarettes were sent to the men in WWI to make them feel better and when he returned from the war, it was just a habit he couldn't break.  (Note: My grandfather smoked maybe a cigarette a week when a waitress at his favorite restaurant gave him a cigarette to be social.  It was never an after dinner habit.)

Wilhelmina died in a nursing home, she dealt with depression and had shock therapy.  She was restrained to her bed and strangled herself in her restraints at the nursing home.  It is believed that she had Alzheimers and was misdiagnosed which caused the restraints, how sad.

Cornelius was a farmer, he had a lot of land in Edgerton, Minnesota.  A very typical farm, cows, horses, pigs, chickens (of which my grandma sometimes tended to).

Both were Dutch, and Nana commented that they were 'typical dutchmen.'  I told her that I had no idea what that meant.  I'm from Chicago- I know Irish, Italian and Polish.  Not Dutchmen.  She explained they are serious, quiet, very, very strict with their finances, and hard workers.

Wilhelmina came to America on a ship (like in my history books in school), she was left handed and the schools tied her hand behind her back so she would learn to write with her right hand.  Perhaps this led to some of her problems later in life, never feeling that she was okay as she was.

They had a few children, and I do not know the order.  Geri, Janette, Raleigh, Cornelius (Case), Harris, Donna (she was the surprise, I call her the bonus baby)

Things I want to remember but don't have time for tonight:
Pearl Harbor
No meals with friends
Playing in the yard and with paper dolls
Wardrobe
Shopping



No comments:

Post a Comment